Color Grading Presentation

Color Grading Presentation

I participate in a monthly conference call of church media and motion graphic designers, and the organizer asked me to do a presentation on color grading for this past call. I recorded my screencast and lined it up with the audio from the call, all for your viewing pleasure! A couple of things to keep in mind when you watch this video:

1. This is aimed at motion graphic artists, so it’s really just the basics, nothing too in depth.
  2. I’m not that great a public speaker, and was a little nervous about giving this presentation, so cut me some slack if I misspoke or said something that wasn’t totally correct…
  3. I was also trying to cram in a ton of information into a relatively short amount of time, so please forgive the breakneck speed and “30,000 ft. view” of color grading.

Hope you enjoyed that! I think my next Colorist Tip is going to cover control surfaces, and will probably come sometime next week…

6 Comments

• KevinB

10.06.2011 at 16:20 Reply

Aaron, thanks for sharing your presentation. I would be curious to know your workflow for dealing with FCPs clamping of superwhite luma values in Colorista II (or any FXPlug). I tend to normalize my shots using FCPs three way color correcter first, then add Colorista II almost like a secondary.

Thanks again.

• Aaron Williams

11.06.2011 at 18:31 Reply

honestly, i don’t usually worry about it. typically, if i’m using colorista then i’m in a hurry, so i just make it look as good as i can in the time i have. at my job i often have 1-2 day turnaround times for pre-prod, shooting, *and* post, so time is a huge factor.

if i have time to worry about superwhites, then i’m probably coloring in Color anyway. also, the vast majority of the footage i work with is from a 5D, so it doesn’t really record superwhite anyway.

• Jesse Koepke

01.07.2011 at 20:01 Reply

Thanks for posting this video, Aaron! It’s super helpful to see you walk through the process and give the basic steps. I’m currently editing a documentary, and we’re just about to head into the color correction stage using Colorista 2, so it’s cool to see it in action before we dive in.

• Matthew Scott

29.07.2011 at 09:39 Reply

Hey Aron,

Thanks for sharing that vid, it was great! I really enjoyed your workflow tips and explanations of why you first balance, then add a look and then refine with keys, etc.

Thanks again,

Matt

• Aaron Williams

05.08.2011 at 11:22 Reply

Glad you enjoyed it! This was more of an intro, so hopefully I can do a more advanced video in the future :)

• Mark F